Side Plank Variation
How To Perform
• Begin in Plank pose then move the heels back so that your shoulders are stacked slightly behind your wrists (this ensures safe shoulder alignment when coming into the pose).
• Roll both of your heels to the right and stack your left foot on top of the right, ankles still exed.
• Place your left hand on the left hip.
• Press strongly into the right hand, and lift the right side waist upwards.
• Bring your right shoulder back and draw the shoulder blade down towards the hips to stabilise the shoulder joint.
• Draw the hip points up, extend the tailbone towards the heels and lengthen in a diagonal line from the crown of the head to the heels.
• Challenge your balance by raising your left arm towards the ceiling, looking up to your hand if it’s comfortable for your neck – or keep the head in a neutral position.
• Build up to stay in the pose for 5 breaths.
• To come out, take the gaze back down to the oor, lower your left hand and pivot your feet back to the centre. Repeat on the other side.
• Strengthens the arms, shoulders and wrists.
• Builds core strength and tones the waist.
• Challenges your balance.
• Keep the lower knee on the floor directly under the hip socket, to support you as you build up strength in the arms and core.
• Pressing firmly through the hand will help you get lighter in the upper body.