Body Toning Sequence
This Vinyasa Flow sequence is designed to deeply tone the body and the vital organs. The Ujjayi pranayama creates an internal heat (Agni), which cleanses the mind and body and warms the muscles, creating flexibility.
Practise this sequence first thing in the morning on an empty stomach.
Begin with 3 surynamaskar A and 2 suryanamaskar B.
For greater flow: 1 breath per posture
For deeper toning: 5 breaths in each posture.
Begin with the right side and repeat on the left
Listen to your body, “don’t be anywhere that hurts or that you cant comfortably breathe.”
Each asana is to be performed with 5 Ujayi breaths.
Stand at the front of the mat (Tadasana) Ujjayi pranayama.
1. Deeply bend your knees. Look to your thumbs: Chair posture (Utkatasana) – make sure knees are firmly together.
2. Bring hands to the heart centre in prayer, dropping the seat lower twist to the right bringing the mudra to the outside of the thigh, Revolving Chair (Parivrtta Utkatasana).
3. Step back with left foot, place left hand to the outside of right foot, extend right arm to the ceiling. Look up. Extended Revolved Side Angle (Parivrtta Parsvakonasana).
4. Leading with the left hand,windmill arms. Extend and expand to Warrior II (Virabhadrasana II).
5. Invert right palm, slide left hand to left thigh. Reverse Warrior.
6. Windmill hands and come to Plank position, roll onto the outer edge of the right foot, stack one foot on top of the other, spread toes. Stay long into the side body without collapsing into the hip, for one side arm plank. (Vasisthasana). If this feels too extreme, the right knee can be released to the floor, or release the whole of the side body. Place the forearm down if there’s too much pressure on the right arm.
7. Calmly release to Plank, soften knees, chest, chin to the floor; slide on the belly like a snake, come to a comfortable Cobra (Bhujangasana) or Sphinx.
8. Release seat to heels, Child’s pose (Balasana) leaving hands extended towards top of the mat.
9. Tuck toes under draw seat to the ceiling Downward facing dog (Ardho Mukha Svanasana). Either jump or step the feet forwards between the hands and repeat on the other side.