Bird of paradise
BIRD OF PARADISE
HOW TO PERFORM
Bird of paradise is best approached from extended side angle, Utthita Parsvakonasana.
• From extended side angle with the right foot forward, thread the right arm under the right thigh and the left arm behind the back to come into a bind.
• Begin to walk the back foot forwards until the feet are hip distance apart at the front of the mat.
• Transfer the weight into the left foot, push into the earth and begin to straighten the spine drawing the bound leg up as the spine straightens.
• When standing and feeling balanced begin to straighten the right leg.
• Hold for 5-10 breaths.
• Bend the right knee, slowly lower the right foot to the floor and step the left foot back into extended angle. Release the bind.
• Repeat on the other side